Five Phuket officials transferred pending probe into Patong extortion claims
Thailand’s Department of Provincial Administration has transferred five Phuket officials from May 25 to June 24 while it investigates Patong nightlife operators’ complaints of corruption, selective enforcement and licensing delays.
Five Phuket provincial and district officials have been temporarily transferred while the Department of Provincial Administration investigates complaints from Patong nightlife operators alleging corruption, selective law enforcement and delays in entertainment licence approvals.
The order was signed on May 20 by Department of Provincial Administration Director-General Narucha Khosasilvilai. Under Order No. 1512/2569, the officials will be reassigned to assist various departments under the agency from May 25 to June 24 while a fact-finding investigation is carried out.
Those transferred are Phuket Provincial Palad Rungruang Thimabut, Mueang Phuket District Chief Siwat Rawangkul, Thalang District Chief Wilailak Rueangphol, Kathu District Chief Akkarapol Sutthirak Jitsupap, and Phuket Provincial Defence Officer Danai Sukskul.
In the order, Narucha said the transfers were intended to ensure a swift, transparent and fair investigation into complaints circulating on social media from citizens and representatives of entertainment venue operators in Phuket. The order said the allegations risked damaging the image of the Ministry of Interior and the Department of Provincial Administration, as well as public confidence in government agencies.
Officials said the transfers were temporary administrative measures designed to prevent interference with evidence during the investigation.
The move follows weeks of pressure from Patong nightlife operators. On May 13, entertainment venue operators and workers protested near Bangla Road holding signs reading “No Bribes”, “Stop Extorting the People” and “Prime Minister Anutin, Help the People of Phuket from Greedy Officials”.
Operators have said businesses trying to legally obtain entertainment licences faced years of delays, repeated inspections, inconsistent enforcement and alleged demands for illicit payments. Patong Entertainment Business Association President Weerawit Kreuasombat previously said many operators had followed official procedures, submitted applications and paid required fees, but still could not get clear answers.
The dispute has focused heavily on venues operating outside officially designated zoning areas, especially along Nanai Road, where operators argue tourism development has turned formerly residential neighborhoods into long-established commercial areas.
Complaints over alleged extortion linked to entertainment venue inspections were formally submitted earlier this year to the Phuket Provincial Damrongtham Centre. Business owners alleged repeated inspections, inconsistent enforcement and demands for monthly payments by officials or people claiming to represent authorities.
Phuket Vice Governor Adul Chuthong had previously denied any solicitation of bribes and claims of extortion, and said licensing procedures were being handled according to the law.
The transfers also come amid wider pressure from the Interior Ministry to tackle influential figures and alleged corruption networks in Phuket’s tourism sector. During a visit to Phuket on May 10, Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul publicly ordered action against influential groups following disputes over public land encroachment at Freedom Beach.
According to the official order, the transfers were made under powers granted by Section 32 of the Administrative Procedure Act B.E. 2534 and related amendments. The Department of Provincial Administration said the investigation would proceed according to principles of good governance and fairness to all parties.
The source text also noted that Rungruang took up the Phuket Provincial Palad post in December after a transfer from Nong Bua Lamphu Province. It said Thai investigative media had previously reported legal scrutiny involving him in 2022, including an arrest warrant tied to alleged online gambling and money laundering activities, which he denied, and separate scrutiny involving firearms licences in a Narathiwat narcotics case. The source said he was granted temporary bail, maintained his innocence and defended his past actions as lawful, with no further public updates reported on those legal proceedings.