Forestry chief orders demolition of structures at Phuket’s Nui Beach within two weeks
Thailand’s forestry chief has ordered owners and occupiers to remove 11 structures from an encroached 15-rai plot at Nui Beach in Phuket by June 5 after officials found new construction in a national reserved forest area.
Thailand’s forestry chief has ordered the removal of structures at Nui Beach in Phuket by June 5 after officials found new construction and continued use inside a national reserved forest area.
According to the order, officials from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, administrative agencies and the Royal Forest Department inspected the Nui Beach area on May 14 in the Khao Nak Koet National Reserved Forest in Moo 2, Karon subdistrict, Mueang Phuket district.
The inspection found additional construction in an area that had already been seized. Officials said the land continued to be used and showed signs of maintenance and landscaping to make the area attractive for tourists.
The source said the encroached area measured 15 rai, 49 square wah, and that 11 new structures were found. Officials jointly concluded that the activity violated Section 14 of the National Reserved Forest Act of 1964 and filed a complaint with Karon police on May 14.
In the order, the director-general of the Royal Forest Department, acting as the official responsible for controlling and protecting national reserved forests under Section 25 of the law, instructed the owners, occupiers and others involved in the offense, as well as their dependents, to leave the area and remove the structures from the Khao Nak Koet National Reserved Forest at Nui Beach, Soi Laem Mum Nok, by June 5.
The order said that if those concerned fail to comply within the deadline, the forestry chief or an assigned representative will carry out the demolition or destruction. The owners or occupiers would then be required to cover all costs, plus an additional 25% per year of the expense.
The order also said non-compliance could constitute an offense under Section 33/1 of the National Reserved Forest Act, carrying a penalty of up to six months in prison, a fine of up to 10,000 baht, or both, as well as a further daily fine of 5,000 baht until compliance.
Those affected have the right to submit facts or appeal the order in writing to the forestry chief within 15 days of receiving it, the source said.