Thailand House panel steps up Phuket beach land probe
Thailand’s anti-corruption committee expanded its Phuket beach land probe while a separate House land committee said 39 structures at disputed Nui Beach have been ordered demolished by July 9.
Thailand’s House of Representatives’ Committee on Anti-Corruption and Misconduct has stepped up its investigation into public land disputes in Phuket after complaints from residents and tourists about restricted beach access, unauthorized toll collections and forest encroachment.
The delegation, led by committee chairman Arsapol Sorntraiphop, visited Nui Beach and Freedom Beach on a second day of inspections after meeting provincial agencies at Phuket City Hall the previous day. Deputy Chairman Preeti Charoensilp, committee spokesperson Thanathan Pramoonpong and local People’s Party MP Chalermpong Saengdee also took part.
The inspections formed part of a broader parliamentary programme that also included visits to Bang Tao Beach, Sirinat National Park, Patong Beach and Phuket City Police Station. The wider round of visits followed a prime ministerial inspection of Bang Tao Beach last month, after which authorities were told to tackle encroachment on public land, restore public access and act against illegal operators.
At Nui Beach, the anti-corruption committee examined complaints about blocked access routes and fees charged to visitors entering the beach. Officials also reviewed land use under the Agricultural Land Reform Office, or ALRO, which remains under legal scrutiny.
At Freedom Beach, the committee reviewed 24 forest encroachment cases as well as repeated complaints from locals and tourists about unauthorized tolls and safety hazards. The site has also drawn concern over several monsoon-season drowning incidents, with the committee urging agencies to improve warning signs and strengthen safety measures in risk-prone areas.
According to the Department of Lands, the Freedom Beach area covers nine land plots. Courts have already revoked two land titles found to have been unlawfully issued, while the other seven plots remain under review. The committee also received petitions from residents concerning land rights and land use.
Arsapol said all agencies must submit complete documentation within 15 days for analysis. He said any unlawfully issued land title, negligence of duty or other legal violations would face legal action.
He said the land under review belongs to the nation and must be protected under the same standard, adding that the aim is to ensure fairness for all parties and protect the public interest over the long term.
Separately, the House Committee on Land, Natural Resources and Environment also visited Nui Beach to follow up on encroachment on protected forest land and efforts to restore public access. Officials told that committee that the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment had ordered 39 structures in the disputed area to be demolished by July 9. If owners fail to comply, authorities will carry out the demolitions and seek to recover the costs under the law.
That committee said it was also monitoring allegations of foreign nominees holding land illegally, restrictions on public access and enforcement of court orders requiring the removal of illegal structures.